Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Beginning

I've been meaning to start a blog ever since moving to the city - 2 months ago. Creating a title has stumped me. Everything I came up with was either too cheesy or not creative enough, so I finally settled for simplistic. The main purpose of this blog is to keep my mom informed of what's going on in my life and to have some record of the stories and anecdotes that occur on a daily basis but somehow get lost in memory. So, here goes...

I've finally gotten settled in my cozy little basement apartment here in DC. The only thing I'm missing is a dining room table, which I'm working on. The apt hunt here was much different than I've ever experienced. First of all, I'm living in an area where the average home price is close to $500,000, so you can only imagine what rents look like. I started at a place that has not failed me yet: craigslist, and over the course of 2-3 days, I looked at about 15 apts. The search was stressful to say the least. Some had no washer/dryer, some minimal parking, others no dishwasher, some felt like dungeons, etc, etc. The one I ended up liking the most was, of course, the very first one I looked at.

Liking it is just the beginning. It's not like other places where it's first come, first serve, put down your deposit, and it's done. It's a place your application, hope the owner "likes you best," completely random free-for-all. So I scurry to fill out my application, write a check for the fee, and attach a sweet little note full of Southern charm (and on flowery paper) about how I'll be the best tenant ever. Then I had to wait. Waiting is this weird in-between state because you've found the apt that you like but don't know if you'll actually get it, so you're forced to continue the long, tedious, and now half-hearted search. Luckily, after a week of waiting, the owner picked me!









The moving part was hard and stressful, but I'm so glad it's over. I would written about that had I started this blog earlier, but it was not a pleasant experience, so I'd prefer not to remember. My stuff had been in boxes for months, and a few things were missing, but it's all put back together again. I'll try to put pics of the completed product up soon!

2 comments:

  1. yay! so glad you started this....LOVE your new apartment-- what a great place! and sounds like you've had quite an adventure already. can't wait to see "the completed project" :)
    miss you terribly....finally made it to mafi's last week-- not quite the same without you :(
    keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what I wouldn't do for a Mafi's pie on the patio right now! It's a little strange living in a place where I can't call up my good friends for dinner. Miss you too!

    ReplyDelete